Last years bumper peach crop didn't return this year, but there were enough to try making some dessert pies! I've already dabbled with making meat pies, so this followed more or less the same steps, just with a peach pie filling and some icing sugar on the pastry tops
Below is the rough guide to the peach pie filling I used
The actual steps in that link are a little hard to find, so I've vut and paste them here for future reference.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup corn flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups chopped peeled peaches, roughly 4-5 large peaches
- In a large saucepan, whisk together sugar, water, corn flour, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often. Cook until thickened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla and peaches. Cool to room temperature then use as desired or store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
To make a peach pie:
- Preheat oven to 190 deg c. Spoon the filling into a prepared 9 inch pie crust. Top with another 9 inch pie crust, making slits to let steam escape. Bake 40-45 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Cool completely before serving.